I have had the chance to talk to Dr Toussulis and very rarely have I met someone as knowledgeable about Sufism His book has so much to offer please if you haven’t read it yet please pick it up.
Yannis Toussulis writes, “Over the last several decades, scores of books investigating the historical sources of Sufism have been published, and a few more popular writers have presented modern Sufi practices with varying degrees of psychological insight. So why, then, write an¬other book about Sufism? This interdisciplinary work begins by critically examining popular and scholarly conceptions about Sufism as a whole and critiques some of them in an attempt to bring the study of Sufism up to date. Moreover – as far as I know – this is the first book to detail the relationship between Sufism and the controversial ‘way of blame’ in all its historical phases up to the present day.
The way of blame (Ar., Pers.malamatiyya) originally designated a group within larger Sufism that focused on the psychology of egoism and engaged in self-critique (Ar. malama, ‘to blame’). Later, the term malamati most often referred to those Sufis who incurred blame by shunning Islamic literalism and formalism. This book compares earlier findings on the malamatiyya with research conducted with one of its living representatives, Mehmet Selim Ozic (pronounced “Ozich”). In the closing chapters, I also present an up-to-date paradigm of psycho-spiritual development that is still being used by malamati Sufis currently. Before addressing this, however, I found it necessary to revisit the study of Sufism as a whole.”
From the Preface
“Truly the purpose of the malamati path is not human perfection or the attainment of the suprahuman, but rather a greater human relatedness, greater transparency, and a deeper relationship with the Divine. It may be appropriate to close with some lines from Muhyiddin Ibn al-’Arabi’s Meccan Revelations: ‘The relation of stations to a Muhammadan is like the relation of names to Allah. He is not determined in any station to which he may be related… ‘Every day he is in a different state’ [Qur'an 55:29]… The Muhammadan pole or individual changes perpetually… For transformation pervades the world entire and pervades him.’” p.200
- Differences Between Unity and Separation – A Vital Distinction by Dr. Yannis Toussulis (mycaravanofdreams.com)
- What should one do, Turn a blind eye ? – At what point is Spirituality more than Reading books? (mycaravanofdreams.com)
- Is Sufism or Islam “The Answer?” by Dr. Yannis Toussulis (mycaravanofdreams.com)
- Recommending Sufism and the Way of Blame by Dr. Toussulis with a small excerpt. (mycaravanofdreams.com)
- Other Sufism for Western Seekers By Dr. Stewart Bitkoff (mycaravanofdreams.com)
- Recommending Sufism and the Way of Blame by Dr. Toussulis (2) (mycaravanofdreams.com)
- Ibn Arabi on Love. Follow up to The unknown face of Rumi – Sufism and Spiritual Consumerism in the West 3 (mycaravanofdreams.com)
- Indications of Spiritual Narcissism by Dr Yannis Toussulis (mycaravanofdreams.com)
- Postive thinking, Petitionary Prayers & the Mystical path w/Commentary from Dr. Yannis Tousulis (1)- Share your thoughts (mycaravanofdreams.com)