this exerpt is taken from the book The Sufis, chapter : the Book of the Dervishes page 309
The veiling of interruption of the correct use of the human spirit (essence) is caused by anbalanced indulgence in certain coarse sentiments which together constitute a pattern of imprisonment (conditioning) characteristics of most people. These veils or blameable qualities are listed as 10
- Desire – Desires based on ignorance of waht should be , and on , assumptions as to what is good for the individual. Austerity when correctly used, is an antidote to irrational desires.
- Separation - This is a type of hyposcrisy, when the person uses rationalization to justify thoughts and actions which are centered upon himself, not upon ultimate reality. The antidote is the practice of sincerity
- Hypocrisy – Charactereised by self-pride, glorifying inpossesions, pseudo-independence, violence. This is overcome only by the practice of qualities wwhich are reprehensible in the eyes of the people, but laudable in God’s sight. They include submisison of the right kind, humility, poverty of the Fakir. These qualities are recognised onky by correct assessment of the true worth of their opposites.
- Desire for Praise or Love – Narcissism,whichprecludes objective asessment of oneseslf; lack of a balancing factor which amounts almost to self contempt.
- Illusions – of almost divine importance. Countered only by the glory of the qualities of God.
- Avarice and Parsimony – gives rise to envy, the worstof all characteristics. This can be dissolved only when the power of certainty comes.
- Greed - and the desire for more, This isdangerous because it causese the the person to be like a moth, incessantly dashing itself against the candle flame. It is countered only by austerity and piety.
- Irresponsibility - This is manifested by the desire to attain somehting which has been conceive in the mind. It is always in motion, like a globe contunually turning, It can be made to depart only by patience.
- Haste to fatigue – This is a lack of constancy of purpose. in its usual manifestation. This is what preents people from realizing that there is a succession of objectives which will replaces present crude ones. ‘From this calamity it is impossible to escape by the establishing of the ordered text.’ Exercises are employed to overcome this tendency.
- Negligence - Slothfulness of a deep kind is shownby lack of awareness of the needs of a situation or an individual.Alertness us cultivated through remedies appled.
[ an interestingnote i will put here just cuz]
It will be noted that ordinary contemporary pyschotherapy attempts the treatment of some of these conditions, but only in order to guide the mind into a pattern which the pyschological doctrine assumes is normal. According to the dervish, the conditions which have to be treated are due to an unharmonious state of mind groping for balance and evolution.
I just wanted to share sometimes. SOmetimes for me there is an awful lot to remember concerning what to be on the look out for inmy behavior and etc. I sometimes pray to I have the humility to let me truly submit. I feel that the more vigor and intensity I put into my zekr and meditation, the greater the relationship through my spiritual guide (the sheikh) with God himself. I feel that the intensity of desire can burn through the many veils. Once an avenue has been created for the direct experience of the absolute I think i will be at a better place to watch my behaviors and walk that bridge. I feel if there is only a singular focus, god himself, then everythign else including control and seeing the nafs will purified away. Just a tought late at night here is a cool quote from Dr Nurbakhsh that just came to mind
“Seeker a road from that king who has the wealth of Allah
Sooner of later hill separeate you from yourself,
In love’s district impatience brings loss
for difficulties will be made easy by surrender and contentment.